Tuesday, October 26, 2010

How-To Tuesday: Tag Cloud in Blogger

Heads up! THIS one is going to be a doozy!
 
First of all, what's a "Tag Cloud"?
Look to the lower right of my blog and you'll see this:

That's a Tag Cloud! Or Label Cloud. It's a snazzy way of displaying all the tags/labels of your blog posts! Labels/Tags are just words you type in to describe your blog post and help keep certain topics organized.


Since I didn't actually make this code up, because I'm not THAT big of a nerd, it doesn't seem right for me to copy and paste it into MY blog....

Soooooo, this is the source of where I learned to do my tag cloud:
http://phydeaux3.blogspot.com/2006/09/code-for-beta-blogger-label-cloud.html

I'll get you started with placing the Labels widget on your blog, then you can follow the tutorial above.

A few prerequisites before you start:
First you need to be on Blogger for this one.
Second, you need to have a couple of blog posts.
And third, those posts need to have labels. You type them in here before publishing your post:


One glitch- make sure that at least one of your labels is used more than once. For example if your blog is an art blog, something simple like the word "art" can easily be used to label multiple posts. Other bloggers I know will actually label each of their posts with the word "blog". It's supposed to help with SEO (search engine optimization for you non-nerds).

So in the words of Montel Jordan, Thiiiiiiis is how we doooo iiiiit. Yes you're going to have to go into the "Edit HTML" tab of the posting page... EEeeeeeeeeewwwwww!!!

If you already have the Labels widget somewhere on your blog, you can go directly to the tutorial in the website above.

1.Go to the "Design" section of your blog, found either in the tabs of the posting area,

or in the upper right of your screen if you're signed in and viewing your actual blog.

2. On the "Add and Arrange Page Elements" page, click Add Gadget.


3. Pick "Labels"

4. Now click Edit HTML... muuuwhahahahha!!!!



5. Blogger will suggest you download and save your template before you start playing around with the code. If you're not that familiar with HTML, that's probably a good idea... click the link to "Download Full Template" and save it somewhere you can find it easily if you need it. Right under there is a link to upload a template, and if you need to, you can upload your saved template right there.

6. Now go to this lovely website and follow along (I promise they make it very easy) :
http://phydeaux3.blogspot.com/2006/09/code-for-beta-blogger-label-cloud.html
 


I apologize that I'm not actually the one giving the lesson here, but the tutorial they set up is so great that I'm more than happy to drive them some extra traffic over there.
AND
Since I'm sending you over there from my blog, I'll still gladly answer any questions you have about doing this!
You can email me or leave your questions in the comments. If you leave one in the comments and don't hear back from me, I'm not ignoring you, I may have just forgotten to look for new comments- so you can email me, too- you won't be bugging me :)



Happy Tag Clouding!


2 comments:

Foges said...

yes... question from the back? You quote Montel Jordan and you don't call yourself a nerd? More of a statement than a question. My real question is... because I'm too lazy to look, can you add labels to posts after they have been created and posted?

-stumped in San Fran

Samantha G said...

Yes you can :)
In the Posting tab, next to New Post there is Edit Posts. You can click the word Edit next to any post you've made and then go add labels to it and publish it again (it'll still stay published on the original publish date, it won't move to the front of your blog).