Monday, February 28, 2011

E-cycling (Electronics Recycling)

Recycled 2 very very old DirecTV receivers today!



Electronics are becoming a HUGE source of waste! Most people have no idea what to do with their non-functioning old electronics. You can read more about "e-cycling" (electronics recycling) on the EPA's website here:
http://www.epa.gov/osw/conserve/materials/ecycling/

Did you know it's very easy to find a place to recycle your old electronics? Some stores like Best Buy and Staples (you already KNOW about my Staples love!) take electronics- most of them charge fees. Click the names of the stores to visit their e-cycling sites. At Best Buy they charge $10 to recycle certain things, but you get a $10 gift card in return for some specific electronics... not bad.

You can try these sites to find out more about electronics recycling:
1-800-RECYCLING
My Green Electronics
ECycling Central

Also Google is a wonderful, wonderful thing. To find a place to take my electronics I just Googled "electronics recycling [my city] {state}" and results popped right up! If you don't live in a big city, try searching for your town and state anyway. You might be surprised! If nothing pops up in your immediate area, try searching for the biggest city closest to you. You may find somewhere relatively close where you can drop things off, and most recycling places don't charge a fee (at least that is what I've been told).


3 comments:

Doris Sturm said...

When my computer gives up the ghost, I'm taking it to Goodwill and let them tinker with it ;-)

Thanks for this post. I see a lot of old TVs and monitors in the dumpster...

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Thanks for pointing out a growing problem. The used electronics have a lot of bad things in them.

Jen said...

You wouldn't believe some of the old electronics I am finding! I just need to figure out if places like Best Buy and Staples will take all things (like old scanners).