Monday, March 7, 2011

2011 in 2011 update and more E-cycling.



Admittedly, I am not doing nearly as well as my friend Jen with 2011 in 2011. But what I've done so far has not been very involved- it's been mainly just tidying up, or listing things on Craigslist that I was being lazy about. So for not having put much work into it, I'm doing okay!

My update includes a bunch of plastic hangers I gave away on Craigslist. Our closets in this house are teeny tiny so in addition to having to get rid of (donate) clothing, I switched to the thin metal hangers since the big plastic ones take up more room. The guy who took the hangers owns a bicycle co-op in Old Town Alexandria and had just gotten a donation of a bunch of bike clothes-- but had no means of hanging them. I had both hangers for shorts and hangers for shirts, so I'm sure I helped him out! :)

The rest of the recent additions to my list were trash or recycled items.

I've got a few boxes of "ready to go stuff" that haven't been added to this list:
One is a box of miscellaneous donation items, 25 to be exact.
Another is a box of 12 empty jewelry boxes from back when I sold jewelry- I'm giving those away via Craigslist.
Another box is a GIANT box of clothes that my husband went through this past weekend and decided to donate- he had a lot of stuff that didn't fit, or he didn't like for whatever reason. I told him I was excited to add the items to our 2011 in 2011 and he said "what!?" I explained it to him, and his response was "no way, I don't wanna be part of some online thing." Well if the caterpillar ticker above is "some online thing"....... too bad! I'm counting them and adding them up.

My last group of items is... these disks.
CDs labeled 2002 and earlier, plus floppy disks and zip disks, which I have no way to even read!
I wasn't sure what to do with these- I thought about scratching the disks to oblivion to protect my files, because who knows what's on there (even though most are labeled) and when I'm famous I wouldn't want someone to go scrounging these up and selling them for a fat profit. But even if I were to try and obliterate the information on the disks, I'm still left with the disks themselves. What do I do with those!?

Answer: GreenDisk.com.
Apparently they take your old media, erase all of the information on it, and either reuse or recycle it in the best way that they can.
Here's the full list of what they take. It includes CD jewel cases and VHS tapes, too!
They charge a fee for their service, but luckily for me I don't have much stuff to send to them. To send them < 25 lbs of items I'll have to pay a $9.95 fee, plus whatever it costs to ship the disks to them.

If you're in a similar situation but ONLY have CDs to recycle, you can try this company and you only pay for the shipping:
http://www.cdrecyclingforfree.com/
CDs are considered a class 7 recyclable plastic.
You can also send this company your hard-drives, if you've got those to recycle.

I hope this post enlightens you once more on some ways to dispose of your electronic waste in an environmentally friendly way :)
If you have other electronics to recycle, you can read my post about that here:
http://samanthasartstudio.blogspot.com/2011/02/e-cycling-electronics-recycling.html


1 comment:

Jen said...

This is great Sam! I will have the same problem when I start going through the office.