Monday, August 25, 2008

Seawall Art Show in Portsmouth, Part 1

This post is just words, not so fun, but may be of use to other artists looking for information on the show :)

I haven't uploaded any pictures yet, and sadly I left my camera buried in the car the 2nd day so I only got a few pictures the first day, but figured I'd write a post about the Seawall Art Show this past weekend in Portsmouth, VA.

Before I did the show, I hunted around on Google to learn more about it and didn't find a whole lot, so hopefully another artist who may be applying to the show next year will find my blog about it and find it helpful. As long as they don't apply to the show and end up getting in and taking my space. Heh.

The short review in a nutshell, and the things they don't tell you about the show before you go (at least I didn't see this info anywhere, maybe they don't publicise it because then 4732897 people will want to do the show, hehe):
The Pros:
-You set up on Friday evening, and there is security at the show on both nights. How cool is that? Not only do they have security, but I was told by another artist that the police are actually volunteer police- so they're people who genuinely enjoy being there and take the job seriously. That was a HUGE load off, to know I could unpack just about everything and not have to worry too much about it, although I still didn't leave my original art there on either night because I'm paranoid like that.
-Saturday morning while everyone is there doing their final set-ups before the show, volunteers are walking around with coffee and OJ. That was a really nice surprise. Turns out they also do this on Sunday morning while people are setting up!
-Both days, volunteers are walking around with carts and bottles of cold water. Another huge plus!
-There is a parking lot nearby the show and while you can't leave your car there during the day, it's really convenient for loading and unloading. You can pull your car into that lot, and unload everything there, and it's pretty close to almost all of the show spots, too.
- The kettle corn was stellar, and Starboard's Coffee was phenomenal (they had coffees and smoothies).

The Cons:
There really weren't any.... I will say that the food there was just meh. I'd suggest packing a lunch to eat- a PBJ or something that won't spoil, or else bring a cooler for meat sandwiches. Next year I'd pack PBJ's and veggies to snack on and take that with me, plus it saves a little money, too.


It was a really nice show and I hope I'll get to do it again next year.


My costs for doing this show- I'm not usually one for throwing around numbers, but these are just the matter-of-fact numbers and not subjective, and may be useful to others considering the show:
Application fee: $30 (i think)
Booth space fee: $150
Rental Car (our cars are WAY too small to fit everything in them): $40 (we had it for 3 days, Friday at noon till Monday at noon, but my husband had a coupon for a free weekend which took 2 days off the price)
Gas: $38 + $38+ $20= $96 total
Hotel: $0, we stayed with my grandparents
Food: $59 total ($10 burgers on Saturday, $17 sandwiches on Sunday, $3 kettle corn, $7 iced coffee & a smoothie, $22 dinner at Cracker Barrel on the way home)
Toll on 301 bridge- $3

for a grand total of $378ish dollars.


I'll make another post about the show when I upload a couple of pictures from my display, and include the more fun stuff there :)


No comments: