Wednesday, June 23, 2010

3rd Down & Forever

How often do you get a chance to see one of your best friends on the news (not for committing a crime) and on the big screen? This weekend I got to do BOTH in the same day!

An artist friend of mine from college premiered his documentary film "3rd Down & Forever" in Jacksonville and I was lucky enough that I could make the trip to Florida to see it! Even though I'm not a football fan by any means, I'm obviously a fan of my friends (and their projects), so after hearing about this film for the last couple of years, I was really excited to see the results of his training and hard work come together.

It's the story of an average guy (an elementary school art teacher) who is determined to become an NFL prospect. Everyone's watched a football game and heard those guys who exclaim, "EVEN I COULD HAVE CAUGHT THAT!!!" and my friend Jason decided to find out, Could an average guy have made that catch?




If the trailer above doesn't work, you can watch it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jglkYl2tp-Y

What he found out is that the NFL players are immensely talented athletes. You have to run at full speed, while being able to look behind you and still go in a relatively straight line, and catch a ball, and anticipate possibly being tackled by some HUGE dudes throughout the entire process. I never really thought about that. Sure if you're just standing with someone in a field throwing a ball around, it's easy to make that catch. Throw in all those other factors and it becomes something else entirely.


The film runs about 30 minutes long and DVDs are only $5 plus shipping. I picked up a few to give to family members who are football fans and remember Jason from when we were in school together.

It would make a great gift for any fan of football, whether they've played before or not. One viewer even commented that she thought it was a highly motivational film to show to high school or college kids. A lot of kids play football thinking they're going to make the NFL and Jason goes into some of the stats in his movie about just how hard it is. (In other words... it's probably good to have a back up plan!)

You can go here for more information or to order one (I highly recommend it!)

http://www.tetlak.com/


Since I am usually painting or something when football is on the TV, I don't pay much attention to it. But after seeing this film, I will look at football players in a whole new way and maybe even pay attention once in a while.


2 comments:

Doris Sturm said...

Oh, Samantha, you were in Florida and I missed you....I only live 30 miles south of the Florida border. Maybe next time?

It's always good to have a back-up plan, because education really should come before anything else.

I can imagine how difficult football must be. I'd be afraid to play it, but then, I've never been much on contact sports, but it's great for the guys - gets their frusrations out and keeps them busy ;-)

Samantha G said...

So sorryrry Doris!! I had NO idea you were that close to the Florida border! You mean just north of Jax?
You and my best friend from high school are both on my list of people I wish I could have seen, but just couldn't work it in this time.

Soon I will live much closer to major airports which means less trouble flying AND hopefully much cheaper plane tickets. I know I can fly into Jacksonville really really cheap on Southwest, too!

I'm hoping to make it back down there relatively soon (with hubby), or at least within the next year. I had a lot of fun. Plus I'd like to look at some art galleries (another thing I didn't have time to schedule this time around.)

I, too, am scared to death of contact sports- which is why I never, ever considered myself athletic!