Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Nice Surprise, from a month ago...

I mentioned that I had a nice surprise at the Patriot News Artsfest show on Saturday morning. Here it is!!

My "Passionflowers" painting made the cover of The Patriot News' Go! section of May 27's paper (before the show).

You can click the image to see it full size.

A lady came up to my booth first thing Saturday morning and congratulated me... I had no clue what she meant. She pointed to the "Passionflowers" painting and said, "Your painting there was in the newspaper last week. On the cover!!" I laughed a little and said, "Oh... uh... no... I don't think that was me. They are using a picture of pottery to promote this year's show."

(Besides, why would they pick my random passionflowers picture to use on anything? Especially after my "Spring Lilies" had just been used in September to promote Kipona!)

No. Of course not!

She shrugged and said "Well....... maybe it was someone's photograph? But I'm pretty sure it was THAT picture. On the cover of Go!." I thanked her because it was still a compliment, and she left.

As the day went on, more and more people kept mentioning it... so of course my curiosity was getting the better of me. I hadn't looked at any papers all week since I was busy getting ready for the show. Finally one of my artist friends, Brownyn, showed up at my booth and confirmed that it was definitely, DEFINITELY my painting on the cover.

However, no one had a copy with them to show me, of course. It was driving me a little crazy that everyone had seen it but ME! Eventually a super, super, super nice friend of mine who I met at a show last year told me that her son would be at Artsfest the following day and she'd send her copy of it with him. And sure enough on Sunday he came in with it... lo and behold, there it was! (The pottery picture they used this year was inside, right on the official Artsfest Guide that people can take out of the Go! section and bring with them.)

I still found it pretty random that this bright colorful picture of a totally non-native plant was used to promote an art show all the way up here in PA... but I can't complain! :) I wonder who saw it and picked it?

I haz the warm fuzzies....


4 comments:

Foges said...

the question of the day sam... how many of those prints did you sell at the show?

Samantha G said...

Surprise of the day- not many at all! Just a couple. I sold mostly bugs, go figure!

Doris Sturm said...

Who cares who saw it and who picked it! Your Passion Flower is on the COVER OF A MAGAZINE!!!!! OMG! You are famous!!!

Congratulations, Samantha, that is fantastic! I sure hope you're saving some of those magazines....

Also, congratulations on the sale of another painting you mentioned on facebook...looks like things are picking up :-)

Great job!
We love you,
Doris, Gizzy and Middi :-)

Samantha G said...

Thank you Doris!

Sometimes when things like this happen I get a little momentum going and try to keep up with it. I'm sure that moving will put a kink in that though... if it ever happens, that is! ;)