Saturday, April 18, 2009

Why Make Art Green?

In honor of Earth Day, I thought I'd answer a question I received via the Contact page of my website.

I was asked:
Why is so much of your 'art' website dedicated to nature conservation and being eco-friendly?

Since I am so inspired by nature, I feel that it only makes sense.
It doesn't seem right to paint gorgeous flowers, insects, and scenes from nature but not take an active role in preserving it. I'm not just trying to make a buck or a name for myself at nature's expense. I've never been a fan of people who talk the talk, but don't walk the walk. For me, my art is the talk, so I had better walk the walk if I don't want to be a complete hypocrite. That means I must do what I can to preserve these beautiful things and hope they don't disappear in my lifetime- which, sadly, I've heard that some of them might.

I feel at home and elated in the presence of beautiful plants and they give me such joy. I want to bring them into my home, and surround myself with them, fill my home with the same beauty I see when I'm in a beautiful natural habitat. (Aside of making my home into a conservatory, hanging paintings of tropical flowers is the next best thing.) I want to share that beauty and those feelings with others who feel the same way. You can pick a beautiful flower, but it will only last so long in a vase. You can have a potted plant that will live for many years, but it may not always bloom. But a painting of a flower will always be beautiful :)


No comments: