Sunday, May 31, 2009

Least Skipper Butterfly- Bug #16

Today I was thinking about charismatic bugs. You know, the bugs everyone loves. Probably because I've been pretty delusional about how most people really feel about bugs. Sure on Etsy I can find tons of bug related accessories (click these to see results for yourself!)- purses, jewelry, art, clothing, needlecrafts- everything! Etsy's got quite a bug loving crowd!

So, back to reality- what is one kind of bug everyone likes? Butterflies of course! Why else would there be so many Butterfly House attractions all over the US?


And one of the cutest families of butterflies has to be the Skippers! They almost look similar to moths in that their bodies seem large in comparison to their wings, which might explain why they are not the best of fliers. They're also quite fuzzy like a moth. But what made me want to draw one was its big, round eyes! Its eyes seem HUGE compared to its head!

This one here is a Least Skipper (I think). He's perched himself on some red Butterfly Weed, a color I thought would set him off nicely. I kept the background somewhat simple since I wanted all of the emphasis to be on the butterfly, plus they are so small that in order to get a good macro shot of one, the background would likely be quite out of focus anyway!

If you'd like to read more about the little skippers, here's a page with lots of great information!
http://www.cirrusimage.com/skipper_photos.htm


1 comment:

Doris Sturm said...

That is so interesting. I would have thought this was a moth. I looked at the link for the photos and they are adorable. Love thos big eyes and the fuzzy body. Makes them look so cute!
I can count on your blog to always teach me something new every time I look...and I really appreciate that, Samantha!
Goes to show you that you're never too old to learn - at any age! (if you only will!)