Friday, May 15, 2009

Art and Bugs and a new series (possibly)!

We're supposed to be notified today whether or not we got selected to participate in a VERY cool downtown improvement project. I've got no idea how many artists there are in the area, but there are a lot of spots open in the contest, so I've really had my hopes up. I also had my hopes up that maybe we might be notified a little earlier than the projected notification date, just because it's been driving me a little crazy for a couple of weeks now. And since I've heard nothing, my heart is sinking a little.

Since I do hate getting my hopes up for things, I don't do it very often. I like to think that things happen for a reason- like if I don't get selected for the project, maybe there is a little more to it than I would have thought, and I wouldn't've wanted to be involved anyway. I've decided to line up a back-up project just in case, so I have something I'm guaranteed to look forward to.

I'm going to attempt a series, 30 bugs in 30 days. This way I'll be sure to finish before I leave on my big trip next month. I want to do ACEOs, but some might just end up being simple sketches or other miscellaneous projects. But something bug related is my goal.

I've heard that doing daily art helps to really spark creativity, and also trying to keep it as a daily thing will help me settle into some kind of routine, I hope. There may be days when I feel extra creative and 2 bugs may happen, or if I'm anticipating a particularly busy day, I might try and get a little ahead of myself.

So there. And by writing this little goal down and publishing it, I do hope that it forces me stick with it!


4 comments:

katiev said...

good luck today! that bug project sounds rad.

Samantha G said...

THANKS Katie! I'm having fun with the bugs! Not sure I will be saying that in 30 days, but we'll see ;)

Doris Sturm said...

You will be a busy bee indeed, with drawing a bug a day and our team challenge and I see you did a lot of blogging - wow! You've been very industrious ;-)

Good luck and I wish I were going to Alaska too - I've always wanted to go there...

Jen said...

I think you should do a June bug for your first June drawing! Joe wants you to do a scorpion. <<< he is obviously crazy.