Friday, June 12, 2009

Stink Bug: Bug #28!


This one sort of goes with yesterday's bug. Dung Beetle (doodie bug)... Stink Bug!
I must have had an overdose of silly last week that needed to explode and be explored on paper.

I added some nice smelling daisies to the composition so those might cancel out the stink. It would have been kind of fun if I had those smelly markers and had done this ACEO with those.

No?


Technically this guy is also called a Shield Bug due to his shape.
Fact: this is one of the few TRUE BUGS (Order Hempitera) that I've done in this series. Yes, I've been lying to you most of the time... though not on purpose.
What makes a bug a True Bug?
True Bugs have piercing mouthparts, something like a beak, and they can't chew. Which means he'd make a great dinner companion, because who likes to listen to people chew?? Not me.
Their antennae typically have 5 segments.
They also have half wings, or at least most of them do... the cicada is an exception.
Here's a website with some neat pictures and more information on True Bugs!
http://www.insectpod.com/category/animalia/arthropods/insects/true-bugs/


1 comment:

Doris Sturm said...

That's funny because before I read further down, I was thinking, at least you matched the stink bug with stinky flowers. Guess what? In Germany we used to call the Daisies "cheese flowers," but those were the wild ones growing out on the fields. Maybe the domestic, cultivated ones are somewhat better....I do like the picture, though. Very nicely done!