Tuesday, May 19, 2009

30 Bugs in 30 Days ACEO Series #4


4th in my "30 Bugs in 30 Days" ACEO series!

A dragonfly, suggested by Katie in my previous bug ACEO upload!
Thanks for the suggestion, Katie!

I wasn't quite sure how to color him after creating the composition. I know most dragonflies tend to be shades of green and blue, and they like to hang out by the water. I figured I'd color him in his traditional colors and have him resting on some dried marsh grasses- which are usually shades of tan, but 'tan' isn't exactly in my vocabulary (at least, not most of the time) so I went with bright yellow and orange instead. I thought the complimentary colors would create a more interesting picture.

I definitely welcome any suggestions for bugs as a part of my series. There are millions of bugs from which to choose, so many that it can be overwhelming.


4 comments:

Doris Sturm said...

Awww, Samantha, so far that's my favorite one of your 30-bugs-in-30-days series...I love dragonflies, especially because they are my friends since they eat mosquitoes ;-)

Doris Sturm said...

I have a suggestion, Samantha, do that green moon moth you talked to me about...or what was it called? I thought it was so pretty!

Samantha G said...

Doris you and I are on the same wavelength AGAIN! I was going to do a luna moth for today's bug actually, but I went with a cicada instead. I will definitely be doing a luna moth in this series though! I have a small mental list I'm compiling, but I'll be sure to mention your suggestion when I create him!

It's GREAT to have suggestions as backups for when I get artist's block!

katiev said...

I linked to your blog here!


http://winstonswin-shifts.blogspot.com/2009/05/dragonflies-and-what-comes-after.html